If you’re relaxing on a Caribbean beach, or enjoying a bus tour through historic Paris, the last thing you want to worry about is your home. You should think about security tips for your vacation.
Most people know the basics of keeping a home secure while away. Here are some additional tips that are easy to miss:
- Tell your kids not to boast about your fabulous vacation plans, especially on social media. The fewer who know that the house will be empty, the better.
- Ask a neighbour to pick up any mail and flyers dropped at your doorstep. But don’t rely on that alone. Also call the newspaper and post office to temporarily halt delivery.
- You can buy timers to automatically turn lights on and off. However, most will stop working if the power goes out and restart with the incorrect time when the power comes back on. That’s why you should keep at least a couple of lights turned on continuously, and not connected to timers.
- If you’re leaving in the evening, or before dawn, don’t forget to open the blinds. Closed blinds during the day are a dead giveaway that the owners are away.
- You could install home security system with video cameras using home security companies. List of security companies you could find online or ask your Realtor© about recommendations.
Finally, experts recommend creating a home security checklist, so you don’t forget anything. That will give you peace-of-mind.